Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Navy Family Weekend

This past weekend was Eric's Navy Family Weekend at Great Lakes, IL. We decided to spend the night both Friday and Saturday; leaving Waukesha at 6 am didn't sound like morning fun for me!!

Friday night we went to eat dinner at my favorite restaurant, Panda Express. By the time we drove down, checked in and ate dinner it was around 8. So poor Nicholas didn't get to bed until 9 (his usual bedtime is 7). He woke up MANY times throughout the night. The hotel was SO AWESOME, but there was a lot of light let in through the curtain, appliances and around the doorframe. We think the combination of the light and people in the hallway was the culprit.
Our hotel room

Saturday morning Nicholas and I took Eric to the base. In the morning Eric had regular drill stuff and then there was a family picnic on the beach that afternoon. While Eric was working Nicholas and I went to Wal-Mart to get some tape to shut the curtains, along with some other stuff. Nicholas fell asleep in the store, and we still had an hour to kill so I just drove around until we met up with Eric. The picnic started out just okay. There wasn't a lot of seating to eat and there was also a loud band (that wasn't good) right next to the few tables. After eating we headed down to the beach with another couple and their daughter. Luckily, one of the things I had purchased at Wal-Mart was a sheet we could all sit on. The day was overcast and cool, until 1:30 and then the sun came out with a vengeance for a while. That was the time we left! The rest of the day we shopped at Gurnee Mills and ate at Panda Express again (they don't have any around us!)
At the beach

Cooling off after the beach

On Sunday the only family activities were pre-deployment classes. Since Eric isn't going anywhere, we decided to take off after Eric's drill in the morning. Since we used to live near base, I got together with Mary Anne from the church I worked at in 2007 (actually, I was hired for her job). It was nice catching up since I haven't seen her in almost 3 years!! The rest of Sunday was filled with lunch at Perkins, me taking a nap (Nicholas woke up a few times Saturday night too) and the three of us just hanging out. It was perfect!
Watching this music program with animals

No comments:

Post a Comment